The story of the High Green Lamp, or Gas Pillar, lasted a little over twenty years.  The Wolverhampton Gas Company (WGC) was established in 1819 and the town was first lit by gas lamps in 1820.  To commemorate this event and to illuminate the market place on High Green, the WGC built the huge lamp.  Built on the site of the old market cross, the Gas Pillar was about 45 feet tall.  According to Steen & Blacket’s Wolverhampton Guide and Visitor’s Handbook, it was “a huge iron Corinthian pillar, with an immense lantern at its apex.”  Its girth was big enough to allow a man to ascend a spiral staircase inside, to light the lamp every night.

A view of the Gas Pillar looking towards Darlington Street

Trouble Brewing

The Gas Pillar was controversial from the start, because although its light could be seen from as far away as Kingswood Common and Codsall, the Market Place below the pillar remained in near darkness.  In effect, the lamp was much like an inland lighthouse, mockingly referred to as ‘The Big Candlestick.

Only five years after its erection, the lamp was already attracting critical comment in the local press.  In August 1826 “A.B.” wrote to the Wolverhampton Chronicle demanding its removal. 

“The GAS PILLAR, in its present state, disgraces the public situation in which it is placed, from the filthy and unfinished state of the column, and also the want of palisading around the steps, to prevent their being a lounging place for the most notoriously vicious and dissolute characters of both sexes.” 

One suspects the local residents believed the lamp had a metaphorical red light bulb!  The following week “A.B.” was supported by “Observator”, who commented that the Gas Committee of the Town Commissioners had already “resolved that it should be taken down; so, why has this not been done?

In spite of these complaints, the Gas Pillar enjoyed a stay of execution for nearly fifteen years, when the condition of the High Green came under the scrutiny of the Town Commissioners.

It’s Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

A view of the pillar with the entrance to Lichfield Street on right.

In July 1840, the congested state of the Market Place, with its narrow roads leading to-and-from, made the news.  The Commissioners were increasingly concerned about public health hazards and the rubbish in the streets around the foot of the Gas Pillar.  At a meeting in June, “the annoyances and obstructions to which the inhabitants were subjected”, were described as “intolerable.”  The footway from the Swan Inn to the corner of Lichfield Street was often “crowded with hawkers of tin pots and oranges.  Vegetables and fruit baskets were also placed on the curbs and this nuisance has greatly increased.”  Some of the hucksters were accused of bringing extra baskets full of straw just to “monopolise the ground” and “prevent competition.” 

From the corner of Lichfield Street to the gates of St. Peter’s church, crockery vendors “so completely blocked up the road that if a funeral came to the church no hearse or mourning coach could possibly get through the crowd up to the gates.”  The report also mentioned that “the infamous language used by the vendors, the noise and outcry they made in selling their goods, was a nuisance to the whole street.” 

Another commissioner noted that, ”these people put crates and savage dogs on the footpaths, so that it was impossible to get by.”  Later in that same Commissioners meeting, the issue of the town’s gas bill of £639, received from the WGC, was discussed.  Several members believed the town’s rate-payers were being short-changed due to the poor service provided by the gas company.  “Mr Underhill said there were constant complaints from the consumers; the quality of the gas was bad; and on the Tettenhall Road sometimes one-third of the lamps were never lighted at all, and the other two thirds were only lighted for half the night.” 

Snuffing Out the Lamp

A view of High Green, post the removal of the gas pillar.

At the following meeting of the Town Commissioners, in August 1840, the gas issue was still fizzing, but the WGC fought back, accepting their faults but arguing that the service they provided for the people of Wolverhampton was far better than the “old oil system” of lighting. 

It appears that this was the moment when the High Green Lamp became the focus for all those critical Commissioners who wanted to clean up the streets as well as the ones who wanted to get their own back on the WGC.  Consequently, Mr Sidney submitted a proposal regarding “the desirability of removing the gas pillar, because it was a public nuisance.  All the filth of the market was allowed to accumulate about it. 

It obstructed a free passage and occupied space.”  It was also calculated that the annual cost of lighting the pillar was an astonishing £36.  So, it was unanimously agreed that the gas pillar should be demolished and “common lamps be placed in the market place in lieu of it.”  Although the decision was taken in August 1840, it is not clear when the lamp was actually demolished. 

Thus, the infamous High Green Lamp appears to have become the scapegoat for traffic congestion in the market place, public health concerns about rubbish in the streets, as well as the protracted dispute about Wolverhampton’s gas bill!  As a highly visible target for angry rate-payers and town commissioners, Wolverhampton’s flaming gas beacon was finally snuffed out after illuminating the town for only twenty years.

Sources Used:

  • Steen and Blackett’s, ‘Wolverhampton Guide and Visitors Handbook’, 1871.
  • The Wolverhampton Chronicle, 2nd  August 1826
  • Ibid, 9th August 1826
  • Ibid, 1st July 1840
  • Ibid, 12th August 1840

The modern “Wolverhampton Lamp” is the Wolverhampton Society’s yearly history magazine, full of untold local stories. If you’re local, you can pick up the 2017,2018 and 2019 editions at any of our talks, or at events we attend. If you live further afield, get in touch with us via enquiries@wolverhamptonsociety.com and we can look into a quote for postage to you.